Monday, May 11, 2009

Artist Statement

Digital Photography has been a fun experience. I have learned lots of new things in this class from learning how to use Photoshop to taking pictures with a camera, applying my own settings. In Photoshop I learned how to do a lot of things. For example, my creative me I made it all colorful and before I didn’t know how to do that. Creating the picture was not the hard part, the hard part was thinking of what to put in the picture. I don’t think I’m a very creative person but in my portfolio I came up with at least 2 good things I think. In my portfolio you will find pictures I created completely in Photoshop, pictures I took and adjusted little details on, or just pictures I took and posted straight from the camera. I feel like I couldn’t have done a better job. Maybe there is other peoples portfolios that look 100 times better than mine but I feel like I put all my hard work into it and I wouldn’t want it any other way.
Photoshop was always a fun place to be in for me. My favorite/most used tool in Photoshop had to be the magnetic lasso. I always used to it to select areas and since it pretty much does all the work for you it had to be my favorite. Another tool I used a lot was the levels option. Levels help your picture look better because it fixes the lighting or the dark spots in your picture. The tool that was hardest to use is the pen tool. I used it for my last Photoshop project and I spent a whole day trying to figure out how to use it right. Before I could use Photoshop I had to take the picture I was going to be working with. In this class I also learned a bunch about how to use digital cameras. I learned everything from how to mess with the ISO to making the pupil smaller or bigger and even how long to leave the pupil open which is called shutter speed. I learned how to use flash the right way and how to take good pictures that don’t look like snapshots.
The thing that I was most successful with this year was using Photoshop. I was really comfortable using it and it wasn’t very hard for me. Something that was hard for me was taking the pictures. I wasn’t very good at finding a good angle to take the picture in or I just wasn’t able to take a good picture. In the future I could improve in just thinking more about what I’m going to be doing next. I think that if I would have thought about the future a little more that I would have been more successful because I would have known what I was doing so I would have known how to take the picture. Some of my influences have been my classmates. I really like some of the things that they did so it really made me want to do better myself so that maybe somebody could be saying what I’m saying about them. Something I did see growth and improvement in was my ability to be creative. I started the school year not knowing what to take pictures of or anything but now in the end I feel like I have become a little better thinker.

1 comment:

Miss Cook said...

Andres, I appreciate all the hard work you have put in this year. Your portfolio is missing a few items, but overall it looks nice. I enjoy looking over everything you have done. I really like your design for the Si se Puede cover- very good composition.